Leica Geosystems Announces Cyclone 8.0 Software – Major Advances for “Point Cloud” Office Productivity, Spatial Data Connectivity, and Customization
9 October 2012
(Heerbrugg/Switzerland and Hanover/Germany, 9 October 2012) - Leica Geosystems announces the next major release of its flagship software, Leica Cyclone 8.0. In addition to providing further improvements in office productivity for processing as-built laser scan data, Cyclone 8.0 gives users powerful, new capabilities. Users can now directly connect point cloud data with other spatial data sources (such as 3D models) and readily share and re-use modeled data. Leica Cyclone 8.0 is being introduced at Intergeo as supporting software for the new Leica ScanStation P20 ultra-high speed laser scanner.
Office Productivity Gains
Cyclone 8.0 features several enhancements that increase office productivity, often significantly:
- 20 - 50% faster scan data import
- Automatic conversion on import to Enhanced Working Format, for faster data processing
- Automatic creation of all pipe cylinders, with a single click, for an entire project or for a selected set of scan data, even during import
- Automatic creation of TruView Hotlinks, linking scan points in panoramic TruViews to asset information
- Easy saving and re-use of complex models created from geometric primitives
- New “scripting” capability speeds repetitive or customized sequences of model building
- Fewer clicks and a modern CAD-like interface for popular “Move” and “Rotate” commands
New Connectivity, Sharing, and Customization Capabilities
Registered laser scan or High-Definition Survey™ (HDS™) data is a rich source of “as-is” or scene information that is often shared and leveraged among many users and disciplines. Cyclone 8.0 provides exciting new capabilities to further leverage this rich information source:
- New Hotlink markup feature enables connecting scan data (as TruViews) with other spatial information sources, such as intelligent 3D models or spatial databases
- New “Model Library” allows easy sharing of complex models and model libraries (built from geometric primitives) with other projects or users
- New “Scripting API” capability lets users develop custom point cloud processing applications
To use the new Hotlink markup capability, a Leica Cyclone 8.0 user simply selects a spatial area of the point cloud to publish Leica TruViews with built-in Hotlinks to asset information for this same area.
New Business Opportunities
Both the new “Model Library” and the new “Scripting API” capabilities open new business opportunities for users. Now users can readily share, trade or sell complex models created from geometric primitives that, in turn, have been created from point clouds. Likewise, the Scripting API enables users to create customized point cloud processing and model building applications that can provide a competitive advantage for service businesses. Scripts can also be shared, traded, or sold.
Leica Geosystems – when it has to be right
Revolutionising the world of measurement and survey for nearly 200 years, Leica Geosystems is the industry leader in measurement and information technologies. We create complete solutions for professionals across the planet. Known for innovative product and solution development, professionals in a diverse mix of industries, such as surveying and engineering, building and heavy construction, safety and security, and power and plant trust Leica Geosystems for all their geospatial needs. With precise and accurate instruments, sophisticated software, and trusted services, Leica Geosystems delivers value every day to those shaping the future of our world.
Leica Geosystems is part of Hexagon (Nasdaq Stockholm: HEXA B; hexagon.com), a leading global provider of information technology solutions that drive productivity and quality across geospatial and industrial landscapes.
Leica Geosystems AG
Tel: +41 71 727 3534
|With Leica Cyclone 8.0 users can save a modeled object into the model library and insert it in other locations. They will also have it available for future projects and can easily share it with other users. |